When your business is growing at a rapid pace, it’s both an extremely exciting and incredibly stressful time. Most employers dream of having an overabundance of work, but great teams aren’t built overnight. Many seemingly promising companies ultimately fail because management goes on a hiring spree when profits are up, without stopping to create a solid recruiting plan.
Grow your company the right way by using the five tips below to align your recruiting efforts with the expansion of your business.
- Create a Recruiting Plan or Strategy. When you need to fill a position immediately, it’s tempting to settle for the first candidate with a decent resume, but this approach won’t fuel continued growth. Before hiring anyone new, take the time to establish a vision for your company’s future. This can include anything from wanting to create a new product to expanding to a new location, but you can’t hire right until you’ve figured this out first.
- Identify the Gaps. After putting your recruiting plan in place, conduct a skills assessment on your current workforce to see what areas they already have covered and determine where you need to focus your hiring efforts. This is the key to bringing in new talent who will round out your team with all the functionality needed to get to the next level.
- Establish Timelines. Make goals for your company and establish a realistic timeline to achieve them. Knowing approximately when you plan to reach each milestone will help you align your hiring strategy to meet business needs. There’s no need to rush the process, so take your time and get everything done the right way.
- Focus on Cultural Fit. You want to build a team of loyal employees who will stay with your company for years to come, so focus more on finding the right person for the job instead of the candidate with the most impressive resume. To do this, you’ll need to define your company culture and determine what makes a really great candidate before the interview process ever begins.
- Hire Temporary Employees. It’s only natural to feel a bit overwhelmed when your business is growing at rapid pace. Determining which positions you need to add on a permanent basis and actually finding the best person for the job takes time, so consider hiring temporary employees in the interim. This allows you to get work done now, without making a permanent commitment before you’re ready.
Partner with The SPARKS Group to staff your growing business with all the right people. We’ll customize our programs and strategies to meet your needs in a manner that minimizes spend and maximizes operational efficiencies.